Monday, November 12, 2007

Girls' Day Out

So, it was one of these long holidays with Veteran's Day falling on Monday. Since I would get awfully bored with 3 days on a row at my apartment alone, I called up Varuni and we planned a day out exploring Cambridge (mostly around MIT).

We first went to the MIT Museum which is very close to where I live (shame on me for not visiting it before!). I was very eager to see the hologram gallery. I was really fascinated to see what laser and few pieces of glass could do! For example, you can see the following "portrait" in 3D!


For some odd reason Varuni was very much intrigued with this "oil bathing machine". I found it quite gross actually :) Anyway, it was very nice to see very cool mechanical things which were just built for fun.


My favorite section was of course the robots! Sometime back I watched a program on Discovery about Kismet - a sociable robot developed at the MIT AI lab. And yesterday, I was looking face to face with this Kismet!


We then explored some parts of MIT. I was of course playing the role of the tour guide - showing what little parts of MIT I knew to Varuni. Here's both of us standing on the lawn in front of the Oval auditorium right next to the Student Center.


Then it was the Charles River... the view was so breath taking. May be it was the lighting condition and the time of the day or even the weather. I don't know what, but somehow, it was so nice.

This is a picture of both of us in front of the river.


Of course you can see the Boston skyline behind. Here's the other part of the skyline .


We also went down to the MIT boat dock yard, and said hello to these cute friends!



All in all, it was a very nice day indeed!

1 comment:

Dumindu Pallewela said...

o! the ducks are always a treat for the eye :D

http://flickr.com/photos/pallewela/524298974/